Student medical research at Baylor

By Chris Pryor ’11

HOUSTON, TX–This summer I am doing research in a gastroenterology lab at Baylor College of Medicine. I have been working on several research projects for the last month or so. The first project that I am working on involves infusing preterm fetal piglets with total parental nutrition and one of three differing lipid emulsions. After receiving the treatment lipid emulsions for a period of two weeks, piglet tissue, plasma, and erythrocytes are collected and analyzed. It is hypothesized that some of these lipid emulsions may reduce complications that are associated with total parental nutrition infusions. I have also been working on a project that seeks to analyze the influence of the molecule methylthioadenosine (MTA) in mice that have induced gastrointestinal colitis.

Infusing a piglet with an experimental lipid emulsion

Through this internship, I have been able to learn and practice numerous biological laboratory techniques. The techniques that I have had exposure to thus far have included: RNA isolation, RT-PCR, animal surgery, cell culturing, animal calorimetery, protein assays, animal necroscopy, and histological morphometry analysis. While at Baylor College of Medicine, I have also had the opportunity to attend various lectures/conferences and medical procedures in the various surrounding hospitals.

Chris in the lab

Chris in the lab