Franz Gilbert: Post 2

Franz Gilbert
American University
Washington, D.C. , USA
Spring 2021
3/04/2021

Work and Classes
The internship I landed has turned out to be an amazing learning experience. The consulting firm works on Regulatory Reform around the world. They work closely with the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, The United Nations, and many other Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO’s). My work involves looking at Tenders (essentially requests for consulting) and determining if the consulting firm should bid. I have looked at everything ranging from the implementation of 5G regulations in Ireland, Electric Car incentive programs in Vietnam, to Solar Power programs in Brazil. The work is three days a week and is a true and full, nine to five experience. I definitely will look at a 10 a.m. class at Morton in a vastly different way for next year.
The classes are all virtual, but similar to Hampden-Sydney, in that the professors are very focused on connecting with each student and making it an interactive experience. One of my classes is Cybersecurity, which is being taught by the current Assistant Director of the F.B.I., who runs their Cybersecurity program. I cannot say much more about that (….confidential…smile). Another one of my classes is on the Pandemic. The professor has definitely taken an interesting route on this topic – instead of covering Dr. Fauci and the herd effect – we are exploring the impact the Pandemic has had on the Russian Mob in the US.

Classmates
It has been great getting to know the other students who are in the American University intern program; many of which are living in the same apartment complex. There are some who have internships that are in person, but most of us are attending classes and our internships virtually due to the pandemic. We are all hoping that we will be able to attend our internships in person prior to the end of the semester. Since we are all virtual, but living here in D.C., we are making the most of it. Every night, a group of us have made it a tradition to walk around D.C. to visit the monuments. Even though we are virtual, we are learning the magnitude and achievement that our country has gone through as memorialized in Washington, DC. To try and help you understand, I have included some photos I have taken. One cannot be in the Lincoln Memorial and not come away more somber about our citizenship and proud of our nation’s values.

Lincoln Monument

Alumni
One of the benefits of attending Hampden-Sydney is the alumni network. I thought I would have to wait to understand the power of the network until after I graduated. However, while in Washington, I have already met and had dinner with several Alumni and it is clear that they are ready and willing to help. They are still engaged and knowledgeable about the Hill.
They certainly have the Hampden-Sydney Spirit!

Until next time!

Franz