Franz Gilbert: Post 5

Franz Gilbert
London School of Economics
London, England
Spring 2022

Back on an empty Millennium Bridge!

Hello! From Round 2 in London. I have been back at school for 3 weeks and it has been a hectic few weeks, to say the least. Initially, on my return, I was worried about how the city was with COVID-19, as the reports coming out of the country were very conflicting. However, as soon as I landed, I was reassured that my term was not going to be significantly affected by more COVID-19 restrictions. In fact, Boris Johnson has announced his plans to make it so individuals do not have to self-isolate when they test positive with COVID-19. While people are still cautious, events and social gatherings are the same as when I left except with the weather, there are a lot more coats involved.

Fencing Tournament

During my first week back, I was able to attend a fencing tournament between all the Universities in London against the Universities in Cambridge (i.e., Cambridge and Oxford). There, I was able to meet some incredible people and athletes. There were several members of many different European nations’ fencing teams. The fencing tournament was held at the prestigious and exclusive Lansdowne Club. The Lansdowne Club has its own fencing team led by Professor Wojciechowski – who also coaches the British Olympic team. I had never been in this club, and it was honestly an amazing atmosphere in which to enjoy the match.
Classes
One of the differences in the European university experience is that most classes last an entire year. Unlike back in Sydney where I would be starting new classes, I am jumping right back into the courses from the previous semester. It has been nice being able to pick up where I left off and be with the same professors. It makes the break feel less significant. Either way, I was thrown right into work, and I honestly could not be happier.
I cannot wait to see what this term has to offer and what’s going to happen.
Until next time…
Franz

Showing off the trophy!