Photos around Campus

H-SC Math majors accepted into NSF Research Experiences for Undergraduates programs

This just in:  H-SC Math majors Cameron Auker and Alex Smith have been accepted into the National Science Foundation‘s Research Experiences for Undergraduates programs.  These programs provide the opportunity for undergraduates to work with talented peers from across the country on research in mathematics under the supervision of an experienced researcher.

More details to follow.  In the meantime, congratulations to Cameron and Alex!

UPDATE:  I asked Cameron and Alex what they hoped to get out of their REU experiences.  Here’s what they had to say:

Cameron: I’m hoping to get some real world experience, because people are always asking me “math degree – what can you do with that?”  Also, I’m thinking about graduate school, and I’ve heard it involves a lot of research, so I think the REU will help me decide whether or not I want to go to graduate school.  That’s the mean reason, just to get my hands dirty, and find out how math may apply to me after school.

Alex: I’m trying to decide between law school and graduate school in math.  If this is a good experience, and I enjoy the work, I’ll probably be leaning a little more towards mathematics – which means I’ll probably have to study more for the GRE.

We will check back with them this Fall to see how their REU experiences actually went.