Frank West: Post 4

Frank West
Provider: IES
Dublin, Ireland
2024 Summer

Greetings from Dublin, Ireland!

I would have to say that Ireland has surprised me quite a bit. Dublin is one of the most vibrant cities I have ever been to, and I have become extremely comfortable here. I imagined Ireland as being a mystical and untamed country unlike any other part of the western world, and in certain respects this is true, but Dublin is like any other cosmopolitan city. It is a metropolis in an ancient land that balances its history with modernity. I was correct is assuming that most Irish people speak quickly and with an accent that can be hard to understand. I was also correct about the popularity of fiddler and flat caps. I had to get one for myself!  Tweed jackets and their prevalence is an exaggerated stereo type in both the U.K. and Ireland. I do not think I have seen a single tweed jacket outside of a thrift store. Studying here in Ireland has made me understand the importance of genealogy and family. My mother’s maiden name is O’Neal which is Irish and being where my family has its roots is special to me. It has made me think about my ancestor’s stories and struggle as outlined in our family Bible. I think I will miss the stunning coastlines, the pub culture, and the high-quality food the most. For any student wishing to do the IES program in Dublin, I would recommend bringing something heavier than a hoodie as it gets cold here even in the summer. I would also not be a bad idea to adopt some budgeting skills as Dublin is pricey.

My new Fiddler Cap!

Coastline

Sunset on the Coast.