Jeremy Gouteix: Post 2

Jeremy Gouteix
Provider: AIFS
Berlin, Germany
2024 Fall

To get to my classes from my apartment I have to take two different modes of transportation. First, I take an intercity train from one Bahnhof (train station) to another, once I arrive I get on the metro for 4 stops until I reach the nearest metro station to my school. From there, I walk for about 7 minutes and go inside. On my journey I hear the bustling sounds of Berlin, the cars, trams and trains all going by bringing thousands to their destinations. I see the various architecture, from modern to classic German architecture. I smell the air which is a mix of the various parks and pollution from all the different factories, cars, and people.

Train station in rural Germany.

I live in a studio by myself, it is small but it gives me everything I need. I have a single bed, a desk, full kitchen, and full bathroom. I live amongst many other internationals, some in my program. It is different from my home in the US as I am fully on my own, no parents cooking or food from the dining hall. I am learning how to fend for myself in a bustling city.

Building on my way to school.

I mostly packed clothing and medications. It serves me well as my apartment came furnished so I had no need to bring things like sheets or cutlery. I wish I had brought warmer clothes as it gets very cold, causing me to layer up when I go out.

The people of Berlin dress a lot more plain. Not in a bad way but rather they wear solid colors, black being a favorite as opposed to how some Americans wear clothes with logos or designs to represent themselves. It was entirely surprising but many people blend together as I see a lot of the same outfit. I have started to wear simpler clothes but I did not dress too crazy beforehand.

Everything seems more fast paced. I come from the south where we take a more relaxed approach to life, but people here are fast walkers, and rushing to make trains despite one coming only minutes later. I have come to appreciate this as it helps keep me moving and exploring. I move with a purpose now, so I tend to see more of the city.

Berliner Dom at night.

Neue Watch (memorial to all fallen soldiers).

My favorite foods so far have to be currywurst, a sausage with a ketchup and curry sauce, and schnitzel. They are familiar enough to the cooking I am used to, but different enough that I enjoy the new experience. I have really enjoyed the freedom of being able to walk outside and decide where I want to eat on a whim.